FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
What operating systems does OblonVet support?
OblonVet supports Mac OS (version 10.8+) and Windows (Windows 7, Windows 8.1, Windows 10). It can also be run on mixed networks without any drawbacks.
How is OblonVet built?
OblonVet is programmed with Java (Standard Edition 8), the world’s most popular programming language. It recommends PostgreSQL as Server (ask us for others).
How do I install OblonVet in a LAN/WAN?
Please follow these simple steps to install and use the OblonVet software on multiple networked computers. You’ll first need to run the OblonVet installer on your server machine, then run the OblonVet client installer on each individual computer. Here’s how.
1. Installing the server machine
- Run the OblonVet server installer
- This will install the OblonVet application and the PostgreSQL database server
- If a firewall is running on the server machine, you will be asked if network access should be allowed for PostgreSQL
- You should answer yes to this question so that other computers in the network can use OblonVet as well
- If you want to install OblonVet on an existing PostgreSQL database server, you can do so by choosing “Custom” mode in the OblonVet server installer
- You can choose not to install the PostgreSQL server that is bundled with OblonVet
- You will be prompted to specify the database connection details during first startup of OblonVet
2. Installing an additional computer/workstation
- After installing the server, simply run the OblonVet client installer on any additional computers that should access OblonVet
- This will automatically detect the server and configure OblonVet accordingly
- If you use a complex network setup (e.g. multiple subnets, multiple servers, etc…), it may not be possible to detect the server automatically. In this case, you will be prompted to specify the database connection details during the first startup of OblonVet.
Will I always have to install updates on all my workstations?
No. Download and install the latest version of the software one time. All other workstations will update automatically on startup.
How do I access my OblonVet from a tablet?
Use remote access tools like MS RDP, Apple Remote Desktop, VNC.
How can I install OblonVet in the Cloud?
You can install OblonVet on a Virtual Cloud Server or you can use a Cloud Database (DBaaS)
Option A: Virtual Cloud Server
• Set up a virtual server (Windows or Mac) with the provider of your choice.
• Install OblonVet on that virtual server
• Use a remote access tool to access the server from your various devices (Microsoft Remote Desktop, Apple Remote Desktop, VNC, etc.)
Option B: Cloud Database
• Set up a PostgreSQL cloud database with a DBaas provider of your choice.
• Locally, install OblonVet on your computers with the OblonVet client installer.
• Specify the connection details of the cloud database when prompted during the setup process.
How can I run OblonVet browser-based?
How can I have my Calendar on my Smartphone?
OblonVet offers a module based on Google 2-way-sync, with which you can synchronize your calendars with any smartphone.
How can I import my existing data?
We can read most everything. But usually we will need to have a look at it, before we can offer you an import procedure. Explain us in a few words, what you have and what you want. We will find a solution. If you can send us a link, to access a backup of your existing data, it’s perfect. Otherwise we will install you a personal link, where you can upload your data. And if you don’t trust this either, we will send you a xml-schema, which will enable your IT to prepare your data for import.
Why is OblonVet not just only a browser-based-cloud-solution?
Because it addresses also users, who do not want to have all the data of all their clients in the cloud. If you want OblonVet in the cloud, we are glad to offer this. But please don’t forget, that for accessing your local hardware like lab-devices, label-printers and so on, you will always need some local software running. And a Desktop App offers of course more.
How do I manage several locations and companies?
OblonVet is built from the basic to manage several mandates, companies, locations, departments and users. And if you don’t need anything of this, you will never see any of it. It will not bother you at all. But maybe later, if you grow… we grow with you.
How do I create backups?
You can store backups on any external device (e.g. USB-Sticks), in any cloud (e.g. Dropbox), or upload your backup to our ftp-server. OblonVet does not need to shut down when creating backups.